Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Rules to live by.....

Why do we keep making the same mistakes in life. One of the reasons, I suspect, is that we are very busy and have many distractions. This means that when faced with a new task we have a tendency to 'reinvent the wheel' each time. Sure we bring some of our past learnings to the table but I think this is often more accident than design. Sure, one can argue, that certain manual skills lend themselves to using prior learnings and skills...Changing a cars brakes for example. However, the vast majority of human interactions don't fit this paradigm . Relationships, our interactions at work all happen in a steady stream and don't lend themselves to reflection. Even when we do reflect we don't often leverage that learning. We think...'I should do x in future...' but because when the future situation arises we often react immediately we fail to leverage our experience to the fullest. We need a paradigm to approach life, just like we have to approach manual tasks we don't do everyday. To this end I am going to agree on a framework for reflecting and documenting my life and to see if I can more effectively leverage my own learnings and experience.

No comments: